With Mother’s Day fast approaching, many of us are scrambling for last-minute gift ideas. Flowers? Dinner? Spa? Been there. Can’t afford that. Not to worry. ELIXHER’s got you covered with six unique (and wallet-friendly!) presents. If you’re still stumped on what to get mom this year, try a…
1. Basket. Compile all your mother’s favorite things in one place. Has your mom been planning a trip? Buy a straw basket, some clear gift wrap and ribbons. Then add a travel guide, a map and some destination-specific goodies for a fun, personalized touch. It’ll get her pumped up for her excursion and there’ll be items she can actually use. You can also organize the contents by a theme: her favorite color, hobby or a mood, like “serenity.” Add a book of affirmations, burn a relaxation CD and include a nutritious treat.
2. Kitchen garden. Get her seeds, pots, a watering can and gardening tools. Helping Mom plant the herbs and veggies will be the best part.
3. Class. Enroll her in a local lesson. Dancing, cooking, kickboxing, photography and wine tasting are just a few ideas.
4. Handmade body product. Body scrubs, lip balms, hair butters and lotion bars are easy and affordable to make. Mix sea salt or brown sugar, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and olive oil for an invigorating skin exfoliant. Store them in repurposed or antique jars and tins for a custom feel. Find more recipes at websites like TeachSoap.com.
5. Subscription to Ancestry.com. With a membership, she can enter a little information and start discovering, preserving and sharing her family history.
6. Walk down memory lane. Surprise mom with a visit to your old pre-school or the playground she always took you to on weekends. Plan a picnic there or visit the neighborhood you grew up in for lunch.
BONUS! Celebrate Mama’s Day our way and send a custom E-Card. Strong Families, a nonprofit that support all families–young, immigrant, queer, single parent– to have the resources they need to thrive, has cards that celebrate two moms, single moms, gender-nonconforming moms, POC moms and much more! “Mother’s Day was originally founded as an antiwar rallying cry. A day to celebrate mothers is much more than a day for flowers and pancakes. It’s a time to focus together on what we want and need so all families can thrive.” Love it! Visit mamasday.org to pick your faves.
However you end up celebrating Mother’s Day, the greatest gift is letting Mom know that you appreciate her. And that’s as easy as saying, “I love you.” No gift receipt required.